Gearbox Prognostics Simulator (GPS)
The Gearbox Prognostics Simulator (GPS) is our entry prognostics simulator for industrial gearbox studies. SpectraQuest’s Gearbox Prognostics Simulator (GPS) has been specifically
designed to simulate industrial gearbox for diagnostics and prognostics
research. The GPS gearbox consists of a two-stage parallel shaft test
gearbox with rolling or sleeve bearings, which can be configured with a
gear ratio from 1 to 6. The gearbox can be submitted to a torque large
enough to induce wear and damage in the gears. All elements of the GPS
have been designed to maximize the number of gearbox configurations to
investigate gearbox dynamics and acoustic behavior, health monitoring,
and vibration based diagnostic and prognostics techniques. It is robust
enough to handle heady loads and spacious enough for easy gear
placement, setup, and installation of monitoring devices.
Gear and Bearing Fault Diagnostics and Prognostics
The effect faults like surface wear, crack tooth, chipped tooth and missing tooth can be demonstrated and induced on either spur gears or helical gears. Rolling element bearing faults like inner race, outer race, and ball damage can also be incorporated. Adjustable clearance to study backlash is possible: increasing the amount of backlash is without major consequence, and reducing backlash can result in binding and/or excessive operating temperatures. Gearbox misalignment can also be introduced intentionally in the GPS. Any of these faults can be added to the gearbox one at a time, or simultaneously to study fault interactions. Both torsional and radial loadings can be applied to study damage signature or propagation in gears and/or bearings: the torsional load is applied via a 10 HP variable frequency AC drive with a programmable, user-defined speed profiles; and the radial load is applied to a shaft in the parallel gearbox. With the programmable load drive, load fluctuations can be applied to simulate real life loading conditions.
One 2-stage oil-lubricated parallel shaft test gearbox up to 6.25 ratio.
• Torsional and radial variable speed loading.
• Gears can slide along the parallel shafts to alter system stiffness and make room for additional devices.
• Parallel shaft gearbox adaptable to spur or helical gears and to rolling element bearings or sleeve bearings.
• Intentionally damaged or worn gearing can be fitted to study the effects on vibration signature.
• Alterable backlash by replacing bearing mounting hubs to provide the desired clearance.
• Modular design makes the introduction of faulted bearing and/or faulted gears an easy task.
• Multiple mounting locations provided for installation of various transducers.
• Develop diagnosis and prognosis techniques and advanced
The GPS is Heavy-Duty and Easily Configurable
The GPS design enables changing gearbox and bearing components quickly and easily. The gearbox is adaptable to install either rolling element bearings or oil-impregnated sleeve bearings with either spur or helical gears. The modular design makes the introduction of faulted bearing and/or faulted gears an easy task.
Transducers and DAQ
The gearbox is designed to accommodate different types of sensors easily. Accelerometers can be installed on the bearing housing to measure the vibrations in all three directions. A torque meter enables precise load measurement. The input and output shafts can be fitted with encoder or tachometer to measure the transmission error or for time synchronize averaging. Other transducers can also be installed per customers’ request. Data acquisition hardware and software are also available from SpectraQuest and ready to do time domain and frequency domain signal analysis.
3 Phase, 10 HP motor
Drive 3 Phase, 10 HP motor
10 HP variable frequency, common bus AC drive system with multi-featured front panel programmable controller
Tachometer 0 to 3600 rpm variable speed
Voltage 230 VAC, Three phase, 60/50 Hz
Shaft Diameter 1″ diameter; Turned, Ground, & Polished (TGP) steel Test Gearbox 2 stage, 2.5 maximum ratio per stage, spur or helical gears
Test Gearbox Bearing Deep groove ball bearing or oil-impregnated bronze sleeve bearing Test Bearing Loader 3000lb capacity with force transducer
Load Gearbox 2-stage, 2.5 maximum ratio per stage (6.25 max), spur gears Torque meter Up to 100N.m with built-in 360 pulse encoder Output shaft encoder 360 pulse per turn encoder Alignment Jack bolts on gearboxes and motors for horizontal alignment and standard shims for vertical alignment Oil Distribution 0.9 gpm capacity distribution and cooling oil system driven by 1/3 HP motor Foundation 5/8″ steel plates on 4″x6″ steel beams Physical
Weight Approximately 1800lb (820kg) Dimensions L=96″ (245cm), W=22″ (56cm), H=22″ (56cm) test rig
Basic Gearbox Prognostics Simulator System includes:
• Two 3 Phase 10 HP heavy duty induction motors, one to drive and one to load test gearbox
• Two 10 HP variable frequency drives, common DC bus drive system with multi-featured front panel programmable controller
• Test Gearbox: One in-line parallel shaft gearbox configurable as two stage reduction/increaser
• Load Gearbox: One in-line parallel shaft gearbox with much larger load capacity than the test gearbox, configurable as two stage reduction/increaser
• Four spur gears to obtain two gear mesh frequencies
• Six rolling element bearings
• Precision machined bearing housings at both ends of the gearbox with mountings for direct measurements of bearing vibration
• Gearbox bearing loader (3000lb capacity) with force transducer
• Jack bolts on gearboxes and motors for horizontal alignment and standard shims for vertical alignment
• Input shaft torquemeter (up to 100N.m) with built-in 360 pulse encoder
• Output shaft 360 pulse per turn encoder
• Gearbox oil level gauge
• 0.9gpm capacity distribution and cooling oil system driven by 1/3HP motor
• Vibration isolators mounts and base stiffener
• Comprehensive operations manual
Option KitsThe GPS provides a basic setup for performing gearbox diagnosis and prognosis experiments. SpectraQuest also offers pre-damaged gears for in-depth study and conversion kits to helical gear and sleeve bearings.
High Value Combination Packages
The GPS is available in high value combination packages focusing on both bearings and gears diagnostics.
Package # 1 : Basic GPS + Kits for in-depth studies of bearing and gear diagnostics concepts
Parallel gearbox bearing fault kit G-BFK-1 x Parallel gearbox oil-impregnated sleeve bearing G-SBH x Defective spur gears G-SDG x Eccentric Spur Gear G-ESG x Helical gears set G-HG x Defective helical gears G-HDG x PC Motor and Load Control Kit G-PCMLK x